Sunday, February 26, 2006

Henin-Hardene beats Sharapova in Dubai final

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) -- Justine Henin-Hardenne beat Maria Sharapova 7-5, 6-2 Saturday to win the Dubai Open, showing no signs of the shoulder injury that plagued her in 2005.

Henin-Hardenne, twice a champion in this event and unbeaten in Dubai in 12 consecutive matches, won for the second time this year.

"I am very happy with the way I played this week," the Belgian said. "It was a tough week with all the rain and us having to play two matches yesterday, but my body held up."

Henin-Hardenne, seeded fourth, has won all four of her matches with Sharapova since losing their first in Miami in 2005. This time, Henin-Hardenne mixed powerful forehands with backhand winners against the third-seeded Russian.

"I played a good match, but I guess I was a little tired from yesterday," Sharapova said. "But I am happy with the way the season is shaping up and I am looking forward to playing her again."

Sharapova missed two break opportunities but converted the third to go up 5-3 up. Henin-Hardenne fought back, and at 5-5 Sharapova made four straight unforced errors. That gave the break to Henin-Hardenne, who then served out for the set.

"Maria put a lot of pressure on my serve in the first half of the match," Henin-Hardenne said. "I then decided to stand one step up and hit more towards the center of the court and into her body. That cut down her angles a bit."

In the second set, Sharapova double-faulted while serving for the fifth game, and the Belgian pounced on the opportunity to earn the first break of the set and go 3-2 up. She broke again in the seventh game for a 5-2 lead.

Sharapova had a chance to prolong the match with two break points in the eighth game, but squandered it with three straight unforced errors.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home